Well we have officially been initiated! A cold front came down from Canada this last week and it was so so fun! The temps dropped into the single digits and we got about 10 inches of beautiful white powdery snow. I have never seen powdery snow! You could blow on it and it would fly through the air! It was amazing!
It snowed pretty much non stop from Thursday till Sunday.We prepared by buying everyone snow boots and good gloves and other cloths, we bought a snow shovel which the kids took turns using to shovel our sidewalk( wonder how long the newness will last!)
I slip slided all over the road the first day because I have never driven in snow but by Sunday I was pretty good at it. I am thinking that by springtime I should definately be a pro!!
They don't cancel school here for snow at least now that I know of. In fact Tyler travelled 2 and a half hours for an away football game. He said it was a pretty cold game but the host school took good care of them, putting heat fans and tents up for the players that weren't playing. At Connors school I thought for sure they would keep them inside but nope, we drove by and saw all the kiddos playing in the snow! It was hilarious! The girls school is all inside so they have to walk the fifty feet to the school from the car and they are set for the day.
It is for sure a different way of life and I am loving every minute of it! Our house has two fireplaces, one on the main level and one in the basement, so I have ordered my wood for the winter! Maybe next year I will learn to split it.... or not!! I have figured that the key to living here is good quality snow clothes(sorry Wal Mart, not you), an electric garage door, and spikey tires( they make these funky tires that have these little metal spikes which help grab the road)..... if a person is prepared with these things then this kind of weather is totally doable and even fun!
I have one last week of freedom before my classes start( all online though so it shouldn't be THAT terminal!) so I have been cooking all kinds of cold weather food, mostly soups and stews, which is soo much fun! Today I made some apple cider in the crock pot which was way yummy! Gonna do some sweets and some breads while the kids are at school this week... can't wait! I'm thinking more apples...
So our first test of Casper,i think, we passed with flying colors!!Temps are due to come back up by the middle of this week so we will be back in the Fall kind of weather which we all know is the best(until Christmas time is closer, that is)....
3 comments:
he he he. YES invest in GOOD snow clothes. We even take out the little kids when it's cold. Just layer and bundle. They have a good time. My sister's school is all indoors too, so they even wear flip flops in the winter with feet of snow on the grown. CRAZY! Glad you are enjoying the snow
Where the heck have you been!!???I kept checking and checking and nothin!! I swear between you and Mary....
Yea we had to drop a grand just for boots,gloves and hats!!! but when it was 7 degrees it was totally worth it!!! And then there is Tyler who, like your sister wore flip flops to the mall! Insane! It is a blast up here we are loving it!
ha ha ha. Where am I....lets see, My computer is sooo negleted from me. The kids are too busy playing Math Games for me to get a shot. Plus Most days when I get home from work, we eat, clean, do homework, scriptures, and then bed.
Post a Comment